Hybrid Halter Sizing Guide
Things to know about HYBRID sizing:
- It is okay if your halter is snug under the chin when you first try it on.
- If it is snug, tighten the nose knots with your hands. Also make sure that the eyelets on the jowl are pulled down as shown in the photo (it makes things look neater and will also give you some sizing play)
- With use, the splices will tighten down and elongate slightly, in most cases giving you the perfect amount of play for the horse to open his mouth to yawn, chew, drink, blow and for the ring to have the best effect
- A tailored fit is preferred. If you've used rope halters for years you might be expecting that fit, which is rather sloppy in comparison to the Hybrid (think a button down shirt versus a t shirt).
- Ideal clearance under chin is at least one finger of space under the chin once the halter has been used for a few sessions. If you have a good fit in the jowl and poll, but much more play under the chin than a few fingers, you'll also be fine. The HYBRID has a wide latitude of effectiveness based on sizing, it being looser around the nose will not have any detrimental effects, however, in that case, you may want to try this next tip to shorten the poll strap without burning additional holes in the webbing...
- If your halter is a little too big, you can loop the poll strap back through itself on the off side. This is a great trick and we routinely use it so that a larger halter will fit a growing young horse (see photo with green webbing)
- The photo shows a properly fitted average halter fresh from the box which will loosen with use to what we would call an ideal fit. If your halter looks like this on your horse when it arrives, do the happy dance! Looser is okay as well.
|Size||Breed/Age/Size||Nose Circumference||Dee to Dee*|
|Suckling Foal||Foals up to weaning||Figure 8|
|Weanling||Shetland ponies and weanling foals||20"||34"|
|Yearling||Yearling horses and sport poinies, POA's||21"||36"|
|Arabian||Arabians with a signature long head||22"||39"|
|Small||Small headed adult Quarter Horses, average headed 2-year-olds, Cobb size ponies and Arabians.||22"||38"|
|Average||Most adult Quarter Horses, Paints and Thoroughbreds, Morgans, Mustangs, Gypsies, smaller Warmbloods. Under 15.2 with average sized jowls.||24"||40"|
|Large||Larger Warmbloods, Large Jowled Paints, Foundation Bred Quarter Horses with Larger heads, Mules||26"||44"|
|XX-Large/Draft||For all drafts and most draft crosses||28"||50"|
*Dee to dee measurement is measured from side dees on either side of the horse's face, over the top of the poll to the opposite dee.
We're here to help! Call or Text Us!
We can help you with with fit and sizing issues before or after purchase.
Afraid to order the wrong size? Don't worry, we do no hassle size exchanges, its easy and only takes a few days. Most times, one of your riding friends will even buy the halter that's the incorrect size if you ask around!
Need an expert recommendation on fit? If you follow our breed and size guidelines above, you'll be super close, but we're always happy to take a second look for you. You can text us a photo of your horse (side on shot is best) to (888) 762 - 5701 or email us, your choice!